Friday, March 2, 2018

Book Review: A Walk in the Woods (Audio)

I finished the audio version of A Walk in the Woods earlier this week. For those not familiar with this well-known title, it is the detailed account of Bill Bryson's highly motivated yet sometimes hapless journey on the elusive Appalachian Trail. The reason I was so interested in reading this title is that one day I hope I would have the opportunity to hike even a small portion of the trail. It is one of my life goals and obviously one that needs more thought and training than just reading this book and heading out to the woods.


SIDE NOTE: That last sentence makes me laugh and reminded me of the scene in Gilmore Girls when Lorelai just decides to go hike the Pacific Coast Trail. If you know Lorelai, there was no training involved, maybe a little thought in that decision but when she got to the trail head after watching/reading the movie/book Wild, she heard the same question multiple times from the group waiting, “book or movie?” If I remember correctly, she went home after only a few minutes. Ha!


Let us start with the fact that the author reads the book and it is amazing. He has such an interesting accent that I could have listened to him read many more books. I did some research because I know he had lived in England prior to writing the book and currently resides there but he is actually from the Midwest. His dialect is a wonderful blend of Midwestern and English accents. Trust me he is great to listen to when he reads! I have to say I've really hit the jackpot with audio books this year.

Many of you have probably seen the movie and that is why you recognize the title. I actually saw the movie before reading the book, which I honestly only watched because it starred Robert Redford. It did not ruin my thoughts about the book but only made me enjoy it more and realize the movie was completely awful. One of the biggest changes I noticed was that Bill Bryson was in his late thirties/early forties when he hiked the trail. Think about the age of Robert Redford. Yes, they had retirees hiking the trail in the movie, which gives it an entirely different perspective. The movie overall was just a huge disappointment in comparison. It is OK perhaps as a standalone but not based on the book.

I was not, however, as disappointed in the aforementioned movie, Wild. What I was surprised to find is that I loved A Walk in the Woods so much more than Wild and I loved Wild! The two have a similar theme yet are vastly different: self-discovery versus exploration of one's native country, female versus male hikers, Pacific Coast Trail versus Appalachian Trail and serious tone versus hilarious with notes of historical. The one thing they both have in common is that the hiker in each title is extremely unprepared for the task at hand...completing not just any old hike but one that involves wild animals, changing weather, mountains, etc. Don't get me wrong, both are great books that literally made me want to run out into the woods but A Walk in the Woods spoke to me more. Maybe it was listening to the author read or that I perceived it as better written or that it was literally in my backyard at times. Regardless, add both to your to-read list. (Read my post about Wild here.)

I am rambling now, so let us get back to the original post. A Walk in the Woods, as mentioned, follows Bill Bryson and his friend, Stephen Katz through the American wilderness on the Appalachian Trail. Bryson is a bit more determined and prepared for a hike of this nature than Katz, his out-of-shape friend. Katz provides so much comic relief throughout the book. Taking the shoelaces out of the hiking boots of some stuck-up yuppies; throwing anything that he deems too heavy, even his canteen in the dead of summer; and endless array of comments complete with profanity that leave you laughing out loud in your car while rush hour drivers are probably laughing at you...that's what Katz and at some point Bryson prompts while listening.

The humor was wonderful because it made the history lessons lighter. As a history lover, I found the these pieces very informative. I enjoyed learning about the formation of the National Parks, the history of the Appalachian Trail and even the background of how certain trees ended up in the places that they are located. Most likely I would never pick up a book on any of those subjects, so it was nice to have that knowledge intertwined throughout the story.

Even if you have no desire to hike the Appalachian Trail, I would still highly recommend this book. It educates. It entertains. It gives you the opportunity to live vicariously through Bill Bryson and hike the trail from the comfort of your couch.

Happy Reading! Stay tuned for my next book review: Beartown.


No comments:

Post a Comment