Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Carter's Lillypost Subscription Box

I had been hearing about Lillypost for some time now online and really wanted to give it a try. Probably was way more excited than I should have been for a subscription box for Carter, so I decided to order a gift box for him for Valentine's Day and give it a try.

The package arrived on one of those monsoon rain days in Pittsburgh. Normally, the mail person brings packages to the front porch; however, he/she must have not wanted to get wet hiking up the mountain of a driveway we have, so they left the box on the wall behind the mailbox. By the time I found it, the box was soaking wet. Thank goodness the books weren't destroyed because I hurriedly ripped it open to make sure.

Carter has finally mastered the art of opening a gift, so I was excited to present him with the five perfectly wrapped books thinking this activity was going to extend until bedtime. He takes forever to open gifts and then we have to read books normally multiple times and if there are wheels, helicopters, fire trucks or the moon featured on any of the pages then we will focus on that page while he jabbers on incoherently about said object. The whole process could have taken an hour or more.

 

Well, the gift wrappers used some pretty extreme tape that even I struggled with to open the packages. By the time I got them open Carter was already losing interest. I presented him with the five books but he didn't really gravitate to any of them. So, obviously my excitement was much greater than his apparently... The box included Love Monster, Wild Animals, The Nearsighted Giraffe, The Mouse Who Lost Her Squeak and Disney Baby Shapes.

(A little hand is obviously trying to grab the book as I'm taking a picture.)

I was only familiar with the first two I mentioned above and at first glance I was impressed with the selection. However, Love Monster and I would later find out The Nearsighted Giraffe are picture books that were made into board books. Some picture books work as board books, some don't. Love Monster isn't awful but both of these books have a lot of text for a baby or young toddler to sit and listen to. I was also disappointed in the quality of the Disney book. 

I know, I'm a book snob. I've spent probably too much time recently analyzing board books as well. I would definitely recommend this subscription box regardless because the price is so great. You can't beat $26 for five board books. The prices of these to buy in the store would have been more than $40. Carter will grow into the two text heavy books and not-surprisingly, kids love the low quality books. It's shapes too, so he will learn while using it.

(Yeah! New stickers in my first subscription box!)

This is a perfect gift for the little book lover in your life. There are multiple subscription offers or the one-time gift option. There is no better gift than a book and this is a wonderful way to get multiple new releases at a great price plus if you have trouble picking books out this helps with that as well.

What subscription boxes have you tried? 

Next subscription box review: Date Night In.

No comments:

Post a Comment