Monday, January 22, 2018

Book Review: Picture Book Review

Before becoming a parent, I used to think that a child she have any book they want. I still believe that but more than ever I believe that board books for the most part are the perfect format for babies. I know view picture books are more fragile. Books that should be used with a parent. I just feel like the pages tear easier for little hands and book jackets are a useless cause.

One of these books is, A Small Blue Whale by Beth Ferry. It ended up on my Best Books for Babies but like I said I'm a huge fan of board books for babies right no matter how great the story. Carter didn't get to review this one because it never made it home.


I loved the artwork in this simple picture book and the message. The little whale longs for a friend. There are beautiful comparisons about nature and friendship using the five senses. The whale wonders if friendship is "warm and steady" like the sun for instance. As much as I love these references, I feel that these are way too much for a baby to grasp but the text flows so nice.

The whale finds a cloud that he thinks is a friend and follows the cloud to find three penguins that he also thinks are friends until he gets stuck on some ice trying to play with them. But then he realizes that they really are friends and he understands how friendship works when the penguins leave and come back with hundreds of other penguins to help him back to the water.

Like I said, this is a very sweet story but one that would probably be a better fit for a toddler or preschool aged child. Carter would have probably loved it because he does love reading about whales.

Head to the library and check this out just to read as an adult or to read with your little toddler.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment